When my daughter told me she could make a pom pom in less than 5 minutes, I didn’t believe her. (Sorry, Miriam!)
I used to love making pom poms when I was younger. I made them for my cat to play with. They took hours to make, threading wool round and round two doughnut discs of cardboard. They took minutes for the cat to shred!
So, how can a pom pom only take 5 minutes to make? My daughter will show you!
Follow the instructions below to make a really cute pom pom mouse (2 pom poms put together, with a few extras, so it takes a little more than 5 minutes).
How to Make a Really Cute Pom Pom Mouse
as made by Miriam Chee
1. You will need: wool, scissors, felt/beads for eyes, nose and tail, a comb, and glue.
2. Wrap the wool around your fingers many times. The more fingers you use, the bigger your pom pom will be.
3. Carefully hold the wound wool, and cut the end.
4. Cut a length of wool about 20 cm long.
5. Thread it through the center of the wound wool.
6. Tie it tight.
7. Cut through all the pieces of wound wool, on the side directly opposite from where it is tied.
8. Trim the ends to the length you want.
Miriam ended up with rather a long straggly pom pom, so she trimmed it a LOT. We realised it would have been better to wind the wool round just 2 or 3 fingers for the size she wanted!
9. Fluff up the pom pom with a comb, until it’s nice and…..fluffy!
And there you have pom pom number 1!
10. Make another pom pom, smaller for the head, or larger for the body. Tie the two pom poms together with a length of wool. You will now have a rather sorry looking mouse!
11. Cut out felt for the ears and tails. Use beads or felt for the eyes and nose. Glue them on using PVA glue.
And there you have your…oh….SO cute pom pom mouse.
Don’t let the cat get it!
Made by Miriam Chee, age 11. Photos by her Mum!
Do share this with your friends. Miriam will be delighted to see how many likes and pins her mouse gets!
50+ Ideas & Resources to Help Your Family Grow in Love