To make playdough, you will need:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup salt
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar (I’ve made it without – it just wasn’t so elastic)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- a few drops of food colouring
Mix everything together in a saucepan. Whisk to get the lumps out! Cook over a medium heat. Stir continuously until it forms a dough (about 5 mins). Cool and knead.
Ideas for play:
- Squash it and roll it.
- Cut it with knives or biscuit cutters.
- Squeeze it through a sieve or garlic press to make ‘hair’.
- Make imprints in it with forks and bottle tops.
- Make people, animals or food.
- ‘Cook’ it using toy or real pans, plates and spoons.
- Have a pretend birthday party! Make playdough party food a playdough birthday cake. Add real candles, sing ‘Happy Birthday’ and blow the candles out!
Playdough can be kept for months in an airtight container.
You might also like Ten Things for Kids to do with a Pile of Clothes Pegs!
50+ Ideas & Resources to Help Your Family Grow in Love